Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Running with the Devil

Yesterday, I caught the end of the Van Halen new conference announcing their semi-reunion tour with Diamond David Lee Roth. Oh boy. Dont get me wrong I have been a Van Halen fan for quite some time. I've seen them live with Diamond Dave on the Diver Down tour and with Sammy on the OU812 tour. I started to lose interest in them around their third lead singer and Eddie's second stint in rehab. Now they just seem to be a parody of themselves. But the great music remains doesnt it? A couple of random thoughts as I watched the news conference:

Eddie Van Halen looks more like the Iron Maiden mascot "Eddie" than he does himself. He also looks like he shrunk about a foot.

David Lee Roth still hasn't stop talking

Van Halen must have a rider in their contract that says they must always have a stout (re: overweight) bass player. Portly Michael Anthony replacement, Wolfgang Van Halen looks like he added all of the weight that mother Valerie Bertinelli lost.

I think the Van Halen brothers still hate David Lee. They tried to present a "we buried the hatchet" attitude...but come on, this guy was thrown out of their band twice..once before he even started recording or touring witht them again!

My final conclusion is that the current incarnation of Van Halen (deja vu?) will implode midway through their tour. I'm going to say in Philadelphia in the middle of playing "Unchained"

The doctor is out

No comments: